I watched the Academy Awards last night. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve done that. It’s been ages. At least 10 years since I watched any kind of awards show, even the fun ones on MTV. Here’s how my predictions went, as well as the winners of everything, so SPOILERS:
- Best Sound Mixing:My Pick-Inception, Won-Inception
- Best Sound Editing: My Pick-Inception, Won-Inception
- Best Visual Effects:My Pick-Inception, Won-Inception
- Best Makeup: My Pick-None, Won-The Wolfman
- Best Original Song: My Pick-“I See the Light” from Tangled, Won-“We Belong Together” from Toy Story 3
- Best Original Score:My Pick-Inception, Won-The Social Network
- Best Live Action Short:My Pick-None, Won-God of Love
- Best Film Editing:My Pick-Black Swan, Won-The Social Network
- Best Costume Design: My Pick-Alice in Wonderland, Won-Alice in Wonderland
- Best Cinematography:My Pick-Inception, Won-Inception
- Best Art Direction:My Pick-Alice in Wonderland, Won-Alice in Wonderland
- Best Documentary Short:My Pick-None, Won-Stranger No More
- Best Animated Short: My Pick-None, Won-The Lost Things
- Best Documentary Feature:My Pick-None, Won-Inside Job
- Best Foreign Language Film:My Pick-None, Won-In a Better World
- Best Animated Feature:My Pick-Toy Story 3, Won-Toy Story 3
- Best Adapted Screenplay:My Pick-True Grit, Won-The Social Network
- Best Original Screenplay:My Pick-Inception, Won-The King’s Speech
- Best Supporting Actress:My Pick-Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit, Won-Melissa Leo for The Fighter
- Best Supporting Actor: My Pick-Christian Bale for The Fighter, Won-Christian Bale for The Fighter
- Best Actress: My Pick-Natalie Portman for Black Swan, Won-Natalie Portman for Black Swan
- Best Actor:My Pick-Colin Firth for The King’s Speech, Won-Colin Firth for The King’s Speech
- Best Director: My Pick-Darren Aronofsky for Black Swan, Won-Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech
- Best Picture: My Pick-Inception, Won-The King’s Speech
I didn’t necessarily make my picks about the ones I thought would win, but the ones I thought should win. Can I just say that I have no idea who Melissa Leo is? And when they showed the clip from her in The Fighter, I still couldn’t pick her out. I didn’t really care for The Fighter myself, but I did think asshat Bale did a great job. Wahlberg was alright, as was Adams, but I didn’t think anyone else was particularly outstanding. I was happy to see all the King’s Speech love though.
Here’s some random thoughts:
- Franco in that before the show thing from the Green Room: What the hell? Is he really continually high? And shouldn’t someone have told him to lay off before hosting?
- Matthew McConaughey: Yikes! What was wrong with his face? It’s was orange and kind of blotchy weird.
- Cate Blanchett’s Dress: That was bad. But I love her.
- Randy Newman’s voice audio wasn’t up high enough, so it didn’t quite sound right.
- Zachary Levi love, but Mandy Moore sounded like she was singing through a cold.
- Harry Potter Tiny Ball of Light: That was kinda cute.
- Robert Downey Jr & Jude Law were too funny. Most of the rest of the host “banter” fell rather flat, but they were good.
- Michelle Williams: What did she do to her eyebrows? She looked like Anne Hathaway or Audrey Hepburn.
- Sandra Bulloch so did not look happy when she came out to present.
- Jesse Eisenburg’s kind of an odd guy, isn’t he? From his pre-show red carpet interview it looked like he’s got the same personality as his character in The Social Network
- The show ran over JUST enough that I missed the Best Picture presentation, so I had to Google that this morning.
So, I got 10 right out of the 18 I predicted. That’s much better than I would have thought. 🙂