So what do y’all think of the Academy Awards this year? Of course this is just IMHO, but they all kinda suck. I haven’t found a really good one yet.
For Best Picture:
- The Artist – I like old movies. I don’t love them. But I certainly have never cared for silent movies. This movie bored the hell out of me.
- The Descendants – This was okay, but it was very slow moving and not a lot happened.
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close – This one I haven’t seen and I’m not sure I’ll be able to get to it before the awards show, so no comment.
- Hugo – This was a pretty good one and probably my favorite, but when you compare to to all the movies there are, it wouldn’t even rate in my top 1000. It’s just the best of the nominations this year.
- Midnight in Paris – This was another mildly interesting one that wasn’t fabulous. Rachel McAdams was a right bitch in it, though, wasn’t she?
- The Help – This wasn’t bad. I read the book a few years ago and liked it well enough. It was very readable. But this strikes me as just one of those movies that make white people feel better because they can think, “I’d NEVER act like that!” (See: The Blind Side)
- Moneyball – This was definitely better than I thought it was going to be. Sports movies, in general, aren’t my thing. But this was another rather slow-movie story.
- War Horse – I’ve got this one ready to watch, but haven’t gotten to it yet. I hope to see it by the end of next weekend. But to be honest, it doesn’t appeal to me and I wouldn’t watch it if it wasn’t nominated.
- Tree of Life – Haven’t gotten to this one either, but I hope I’ll be getting it soon in the mail from Netflix.
And the rest that are nominated for something or other:
- A Better Life – In my Netflix Queue
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – Snooze fest. It’s got Gary Oldman! And Colin Firth! How can I not love it? Oh, because NOTHING HAPPENED. I have the ebook so I might try it again after I’ve tried the book.
- Albert Nobbs – Haven’t seen it yet.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Very good. Mara’s nominated as Best Actress. Is she better than Rapace? No. But she’s not worse either. She did an excellent job.
- The Iron Lady – I haven’t seen this one yet, but hope to before the show.
- My Week with Marilyn – Again, haven’t seen it.
- Warrior – In Netflix queue.
- Beginners – In Netflix queue.
- Bridesmaids – Loved this movie. And I’m not one who thinks comedies don’t deserve awards. And I’m happy for McCarthy for getting recognition. But I don’t think she deserves to win.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – Of course I loved this one. It’s nominated for Makeup, Art Direcction, and Visual Effects.
- Margin Call – In Netflix Queue.
- A Separation – Haven’t gotten to it yet.
- The Ides of March – Watching this one right now. Was intrigued about an atheist presidential candidate, which is what they opened with, but they don’t seem to be talking about it much. It’s pretty slow moving.
- Kung Fu Panda 2 – This was an okay movie, but I honestly can’t remember anything at all about it.
- Puss in Boots – We didn’t see this in the theatre. I’d heard it was good and we offered to take Em but she wasn’t interested. We watched it at home and I thought it sucked. Em liked it.
- Rango – I meant to see this one, but Em didn’t care to. I’ve heard mixed stuff, but I haven’t seen it yet. I’ve not heard of the other two movies nominated in the animated category, so I didn’t include them.
- The Adventures of Tintin – This one was really good, I thought. It’s not nominated for Animated, but for Original Score.
- Anonymous – I wanted to see this one, but didn’t get to it because Chris wasn’t interested. It’s at the top of my Netflix queue, but it’s got a wait so they’ll probably never send it to me because they suck.
- Jane Eyre – This one was lovely, but I need to re-watch it.
- W. E. – Haven’t seen it.
- Drive – Watched this one last night. It was supposed to be a thriller, but it wasn’t. It was slow and kinda boring.
- Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon – Seriously? This is nominated? I wouldn’t see this if you paid me.
- Real Steel – Ditto. This looked just awful.
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes – This wasn’t bad. I’m not a fan of James Franco and his stoned look, but this was okay. I love Tyler Labine and Tom Felton and wish there’d been more of them.
So. What do y’all think? Agree? Disagree? Any of the ones I’ve not gotten to that I should move to the top of my list?